YOUR MARRIAGE TO A DEAF

YOUR MARRIAGE TO A DEAF




As we all know, marriage is a visa to a lifetime journey of no return hence, we are to choose our partners wisely. Yes, wisely is the word but when you exaggerate that word towards unfathomable claims, you are merely turning things upside down.

We have recorded cases where some parents signed rejection to their hearing children getting married to the Deaf on unfathomable claims such as; communication barrier, they might give birth to Deaf children etc.

I remember vividly, when I was dating my wife, because my wife wasn’t priviledged to be speaking like me, my mummy told me, Femi, if you want to marry a Deaf, it should be someone who can speak like you o. I ignored it till I make her see she’s a very quality wife material.

I can reason along with you on the communication barrier but you shouldn’t discourage your hearing child who has determined, we have to intermingle to break every barrier, you can write or gesture to communicate with your son/daughter in-law, acquisition of Sign Language because of the Deaf whom your child married will earn you a lifetime appreciation.

But I disagree with you on the unfathomable claim that they will give birth to Deaf children, I am a living testimony so are many of my colleagues, I am a postlingual Deaf married to a prelingual Deaf, we gave birth to 3 hearing opals(children). There are hearing couples who gave birth to 3 Deaf children at a go, the claim is indeed unfathomable, God is the creator, and you can never influence God’s creation.

Let’s end isolation, let’s embrace inclusion by allowing intermingling when it comes to marriage, Let the hearing marry the Deaf and vice versa.

Love is spirit, parent should stop deciding for their children in term of marriage, we are in a well enlightened 21st Century.



HEARING BROTHERS AND SISTERS, CAN YOU REALLY COPE?

Having the knowledge of the Sign Language is one thing, Deaf culture is another.

Hearing brothers and sisters, don’t jump into marriage with the Deaf, take a proper study of our culture. Yes, we Deaf look attractive with beauty, focus, hardworking etc. You got attracted with greater qualities we possessed but remember, not all that glitters are gold, if your Deaf spouse should unleash his/her wrath on you, can you cope? 

We’ve recorded high rate of divorce between the hearing and the Deaf and our finding shows that, it’s as a result of lack of understanding the norms in Deaf Culture.

Only by understanding the Deaf culture you can cope and groom your Deaf spouse towards having a happy home. Read here on Deaf Culture: http://fffadvocacybase.blogspot.com.ng/2017/07/change-your-mindset-towards-deaf.html


Let’s make our society free of divorce by maintaining love and understanding.





Adeosun Olufemi Ebenezer (a.k.a F.F.F)
Secretary General, Ogun State Association of the Deaf
Co-Founder, Uplifting Empowerment Foundation for the Deaf Youth
08099511080 (sms/whatsapp only)
Olufemia28@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/fffadvocacybase
Twitter: @adefemifunto

Blog: fffadvocacybase.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Deaf and Deafness: See reason why the Deaf don't listen to your motivation

Understanding Deaf and Deafness: See why the Deaf have to stare at you

FULL INCLUSION WITH SIGN LANGUAGE