Deaf Right To Education
DON’T
DELAY YOUR DEAF CHILD’S EDUCATIONAL CAREER
Don’t
delay your Deaf child right to education while in search for miracle.
Imagine,
a Deaf child of 25 years old still in primary 5 due to his/her parents
negligence of his/her right to education.
Enrolment
of your Deaf child into a Deaf school doesn’t stipulate any barrier to your
prayer for miracle.
Some
parents delayed their Deaf child right to education by taking them to places
from places where a lot of money is just being wasted.
MY STORY:
I
became Deaf at the age of 15 after reculperation from meningitis, my parents
began to take me to places from places, today to Celestial Church, tomorrow to
a shrine, next tomorrow to a alfa place, for almost a year where a lot of money
was wasted just to regain my hearing, my educational career was halted for a
search for miracle, I was still a high school (senior) student then when I had
the hearing loss.
I
had to change my parents mindset by telling them to allow me further my
education while we keep praying for miracle as God does answer prayers even in
the bedroom so, they should stop taking me around, it doesn’t go down well with
them which is expected from a good parent but I succeeded in making them reason
along.
Imagine,
if I hadn’t changed their mindset, I will remain at home idle though, not every
Deaf could do that as the hearing loss do affect sense of reasoning that’s why
you should groom them by enrolling them back to school earlier enough.
Decision
to enroll the Deaf child at a Special School is one thing while the knowledge
of a befitting school is another.
MY STORY
CONTINUES…
After
my parents decided to enroll me at a Special School, we went to Wesley School
for the Deaf, Surulere, Lagos to make enquiry of a beffiting special school for
me. The management of the school back then told my parent that, no matter the
level of education a child might have acquired, once he/she experienced hearing
loss, there will surely be a memory loss, the child have to begin his/her
educational career from the Special Primary School, I was enrolled into Primary
5 class, I wept every morning when asked to read multiplication table.
After
few weeks, they made evaluation of my performance in class which changed their
mindset of generalising their findings because the teachers in that school are
not better than me, I even rendered helping hands to teach the pupils in my
class while the teachers are resting on their chairs.
The
school management requested to see my parents again; they discussed and decided
to enrol me at Federal Science and Technical College, Yaba, Lagos, that was at
the end of a term at the school, I have acquired the knowledge of Sign Language
by then, I gained admission at the Federal Science and Technical College, Yaba,
Lagos where I studied Refrigeration & Air-Conditioning Craft, the school is
an inclusive school so, I learnt further the Sign Language from my Deaf
schoolmates. After the period of 3 years, I graduated from the Technical School
then later on, gained admission at the Federal Polytechnic Ilaro, where I
studied Quantity Surveying.
You
can sense how my educational career was zig-zagged due to ignorance and wrong
perception. You might be wandering, since I was able to change my parents
mindset to allow me further my education, I should have been able to change
their midset at the Deaf School, the truth is, it was just after a year I had
the hearing loss, my sense of reasoning hasn’t been fully restored then. My parents
who are to guide me through are ignorant of Deaf education and believed they
are in the right place where I will be properly guided.
A
lot is attached to hearing loss, that’s why the Deaf parents must always be
there for the child till his/her sense of reasoning is fully restored. Though,
there are cases where a Deaf child really had memory loss as a result of the
hearing loss but it isn’t a generalized term. Make enquiry from multiple quarters,
evaluate and reason properly before enrolling your Deaf child at any special school
to avoid the mistakes my parents made due to wrong perception the school
management poisoned them with.
I
should have been evaluated and encouraged to write S.S.C.E towards gaining
admission at a Polytechic or University instead of the wastage of time and
money at the Deaf School.
As
you enrol your Deaf child at a Special School, you should enrol with them by
learning Sign Language to break communication barrier towards grooming your
child to be great asset.
My
great parents, i really commended their parenthood, they were always there, and
they gave me special treatment that my able siblings didn’t enjoy. I wasn’t
denied the equal right to training.
Presently,
I am a civil servant in Ogun State.
Finally,
am encouraging the parents out there to give their Deaf children equal rights
to training, Identify and utilize the potentials they possessed and you will
surely laugh last.
Adeosun
Olufemi Ebenezer (a.k.a F.F.F)
Secretary
General, Ogun State Association of the Deaf
Co-Founder,
Uplifting Empowerment Foundation for the Deaf Youth
08099511080
(sms/whatsapp only)
Olufemia28@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/fffadvocacybase
Twitter: @adefemifunto
Blog:
fffadvocacybase.blogspot.com
Comments
Post a Comment
Add Your Comment